[Speex-dev] Speex and the ARM7 Core

Pietro Maggi studiomaggi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 03:01:31 PDT 2007

2007/9/6, Brett Humphrey <directgumby at hotmail.com>:

>  Hello,

Hi Brett,
>  I'm sorry if this is not the correct place to ask this question but what
> I'm looking for is any data on the reality of Speex working on an ARM7 core?
>  I'm looking at doing a few diffrent projects where I will be using a proc
> such as the LPC2378 with the ARM7TDMI-S core running at 72Mhz (although
> errata show only 60Mhz is currenlty possible).
>
>  Do you know if there is a port that will work on this core?

This is a recurring question here and I too asked it some time ago.
I've done some testing with an Atmel AT91SAM7S at 55MHz and IAR 4
compiler with no luck. Even compiling Speex using the provided ARM v4
optimization and Fixed Point Macros I can only reach (narrowband
encoding) a ratio of around 2:1 (40ms to compress a 20ms audio frame).

I still hope that someone can say I'm wrong on this, but it seems to
me that speex encoding require a bit more horsepower to be executed in
real-time that what is available on the ARM7 architecture (talking
about micros with onboard flash that tops around 60MHz).

Best regards
Pietro