[Speex-dev] Could you help me about speex ?

장성권 sunggwon at 4nb.co.kr
Tue Oct 22 18:10:17 PDT 2013

Hi~
My name is James. (sunggwon at 4nb.co.kr)
I am a iOS developer.
My app need sound codec. (1 encoding & 32 decoding at the same time)
So i used speex codec.
But codec’s performance was lower than my expectation.
Is it normal ? or did i do something wrong ?

* cpu usage test of speex codec on iPad2. (tested by xcode instruments)
## encoder test
a) 1 encoding (VBR, Quality=10, Complexity=2)
	avg	: 26 ~ 28 %
	peak	: 38 %
b) 1 encoding (VBR, Quality=0, Complexity=1)
	avg	: 14 ~ 16 %
	peak	: 20 %
c) 1 encoding (VBR, Quality=1, Complexity=10)
	avg	: 14 ~ 22 %
	peak	: 30 %
d) 1 encoding (VBR, Quality=10, Complexity=10)
	avg	: 26 ~ 76 %
	peak	: 94 %
e) 1 encoding (CBR, Quality=10, Complexity=2)
	avg	: 30 %
	peak	: 40 %
f) 1 encoding (CBR, Quality=0, Complexity=1)
	avg	: 14 %
	peak	: 20 %

## decoder test (used encoding source: VBR, Quality=10, Complexity=2)
a) 1 decoding
	avg	: 6 ~ 8 %
b) 10 decodings
	avg	: 58 ~ 72 %
	peak	: 82 %

Can you tell me any advice or some information ?
Thanks.