[Speex-dev] Echo cancellation feedback noise

Kurt Pattyn kurt.pattyn at telenet.be
Tue Feb 28 08:53:44 PST 2012

How to properly startup speex echo cancellation?

AEC is working fine, except when the algorithm gets its first frames to cancel echo. I hear a terrible feedback sound for a few seconds, before the AEC algorithm settles down and starts to work as expected.
I use the function speex_echo_cancellation().

At the very start of the application, there are recorded frames available, but not yet playback frames. In the latter case, I supply a 'silent' playback frame to the noise cancellation function (frame containing all zeros). Is this the right approach?

So, when the AEC is first called (with frames containing sound - not silence), a terrible feedback is heard. Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?