[Speex-dev] [Uclinux-dist-devel] Does VBR work for speex in non-float platform now?

Mike Frysinger vapier.adi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 18:09:17 PDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 23:09, Barry Song wrote:
> We are using speex for linphone in blackfin fixed point platform. The
> speex version we are using is svn-14525. If we don't disable vbr by
> "--disable-vbr", the sound quality will be very bad in linphone. But
> if we disable it, sound will be perfect.
>
> I noticed in the speex.org, there is a comment like this:
>>
>>Speex 1.2beta3 is out
>
>>December 11, 2007
>
>>The most obvious change in this release is that all the non-codec components (preprocessor, echo cancellation, jitter buffer) have been moved to a new libspeexdsp library. >Other changes include a new jitter buffer algorithm and resampler improvements/fixes. This is also the first release where libspeex can be built without any floating point support. >To do this, the float compatibility API must be disabled (--disable-float-api or DISABLE_FLOAT_API) and the VBR feature must be disabled (--disable-vbr or DISABLE_VBR).
>
> Does 14525 still need this limit?  Has this problem fixed by the
> newest revision 16402?

the Blackfin svn trunk has been updated to git
29b1230c7fe8191ef128a6b59e6d9a633863d3bb already (24 Apr 2009).  if
you want to try a newer snap, you can just do:
cd lib/speex
make ROOTDIR=../.. gitweb-update

but if you really want to use the 2009R1 branch, then you can simply
copy the snapshot dir over and change VER in the Makefile.  swapping
between versions at build time is insanely trivial.
-mike