[Speex-dev] Microsoft RTAudio

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Sep 4 15:23:54 PDT 2007

B. Mitchell Loebel wrote:

> The little dirty secret that nobody dares talk about is that the open
> source religion was born out of anti-Microsoft, anti-Capitalist
> attitudes ... let's simply acknowledge the truth.

Please read up on the history of open-source code. There are elements of
truth in your assertion as applied to certain strands in the open-source
(especially free software) "movement", but those elements do not
comprise not the complete truth. In particular, the tradition of open
source predates Microsoft and therefore cannot be anti-Microsoft. It
grew out of the scientific tradition of sharing research results, not
some communistic, anti-capitalist movement. But perhaps science is
anti-capitalist, too?

(I'd have posted this to the Advocacy list but I'm still waiting to hear
back from Mailman about my subscription request. This is my last post on
the topic.)

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre