[Speex-dev] Same bitrates on narrowband for quality 3/4, 5/6, 7/8?

Sol Young syoung at audiofy.com
Mon Mar 27 11:55:31 PST 2006

Hi all,

When encoding narrowband with speexenc I notice the bitrate is the same for
qualities 3 / 4, 5 / 6, and 7 / 8 (8000, 11000, and 15000 respectively).  I
didn't test this on prior versions of the encoder so I'm not sure if this is
something new, but am curious if there is a difference between the above
respective settings (does quality 4 yield better results on narrowband than
quality 3 despite being the same bitrate?  Or are they defaulting to the
same rate?)

Thanks,
Sol Young