[Speex-dev] dsPIC Speex port

Hrvoje Cavrak hcavrak at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 07:27:08 PST 2006

Hello!

I'm new to the list, so first I'd like to say hi to everybody! Is
there somebody interested in helping with porting Speex on dsPIC
series of Microchip's microcontrollers? I was looking at 30F6014A with
144 kB of flash and 8 kB of ram, fixed point DSP core and capable of
30 MIPS. If only one narrowband rate was selected and everything
unnecessary stripped down, perhaps it could be ported to perform both
encryption and decryption in realtime? Microchip adapted Speex at 8
kbps (I was thinking more of 4kbps NB) to run on dsPIC, requiring 19
MIPS for encoding and 3 MIPS for decoding. Supposedly, RAM was the
main limitation, requiring 5.4 KB for encoder and 3.2 KB for decoder.
They state that full-duplex support is now possible and requires 6.8
KB of RAM, so it looks like it can be done. Unfortunately they witheld
the source code. Anybody interested in making ~10$ decent sounding
hardware codec?

Hrvoje

--
,-._,-.