[Speex-dev] Speex for sampling freq >48KHz

Mon Mar 27 05:19:57 PST 2006

Just forget about using Speex as the basis of a lossless codec. All the
things that make CELP good (noise weighting, VQ, ...) are simply useless
for lossless. It will not get you anywhere in terms of improving
lossless coding. If you really want to do something in lossless, you
better post to the FLAC list and ask if there are promising things they
didn't use in FLAC because of some design decisions they made (e.g.
because of independent blocks). The only thing *I* can think of where
you could (theoretically) improve lossless coding for speech (only) is
to use a long-term predictor.

	Jean-Marc