[Speex-dev] how to use fixed-point ?

patrick andrieux patrick.andrieux at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 09:51:31 PDT 2006

Hi list !

I'm Patrick, a french student.
i am developping a kind of softphone for pocket PC using speex.
Sorry in advance for my bad english.

Till now, i had good results, but now i've a problem with encoding.

so to summarize, here is a short description of my work :
    I'm working on pocket pc
    I'm developing a GUI in C#
    I'm developing a dll in C++ which use speex functions

I capture audio from microphone using windows wave API.
For it, I fill several buffers of 20ms, 160 samples.
When the first or one of this buffer is full, a callback is called by wave
API.
So, at this moment, i want to encode this audio data. (and write them in a
file)

But apparently, it's to slow, and consequently, all my data are not written.
I've read some topic about that, and i guess i need to use the fixed-point
stuff.

I tried to use speex_encode_int(...) instead of speex_encode(...)
but i have the same result when i read my file : no sound.
I tried as well to change quality and complexity, and i have same bad
result.
My program work correctly if i don't encode the data, i get a perfect sound.
So my problem is the encoding ...

So my question is,
how can i use fixed-point instead of floating-point ?
(maybe i need to specify "--enable-fixed-point" but how can i do that on
VS2005 ? )

Thanks a lot for your help.