[Speex-dev] Static linking without C runtime dependence?

Steve Gibson steve at grc.com
Sat Oct 15 11:39:53 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm writing a Speex-based IP interview tool.

What's cool (and unique) about it is that since the goal is a perfect
_recording_ of an interview, rather than a perfect real-time experience, I
can afford to skimp on jitter buffer and redundant speech samples in favor
of lower interactive latency ... and incorporate a speech sample
retransmission protocol so that the receiver can ask the sender to resend
any lost speech samples ... thus saving a guaranteed-perfect recording of
the interview to disk.

Anyway ... to my question ...

I have built and tested the v1.1.10 _DLL_, but I would prefer to statically
link a Speex .OBJ to my application.  The trouble with doing that is that I
am writing the application in Assembler (my preferred implementation
language), so I don't have a C runtime around for things like malloc ...
which the statically-linked code apparently wants.

I could hack the source of the DLL build to create an independent .OBJ
without C runtime dependence, but I would MUCH rather be able to use the
standard source from the project.

Is there any supported means for creating a C runtime-independent .OBJ for
statically linking into a non-C program?

Thanks very much!