[Speex-dev] speex voice seems to be bit breaking over long distance.

Mon Apr 18 09:28:16 PDT 2005

> Ok, what you suggest sound logical to me. Currently, I
> have done a small trick to prevent this problem. What
> I did is that whenever windows request a voice packet
> from me and if I do not have the voice packet, I
> repeat the previous packet. Hence, all the breaking
> portion is filled with previous packet. This trick
> seems to work so far. I am not sure what is the side
> effect.

Actually, Speex has Packet Loss Concealment (PLC) builtin. If a packet
is missing, instead of repeating the previous one, just try decoding by
passing NULL instead of the SpeexBits struct.

> I think jitter buffering is more correct way to solve
> this problem but I think this is not so easy. Is there
> got any source code to reference from?

Look for the speex_jitter.h header.

	Jean-Marc

> Regards,
> YueWeng
>
> --- "Kleijn, J.S. de" <J.S.d.Kleijn at student.tue.nl>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > You should implement a jitter buffer, this buffers
> > the audio to prevent the 'breaking'.
> >
> > My VoIP application called VoIPerized has a jitter
> > buffer. You can try it to see if you then don't
> > experience the breaking of the voice.
> >
> > Greetings Jeroen de Kleijn

Jean-Marc Valin <Jean-Marc.Valin at USherbrooke.ca>
Université de Sherbrooke