[speex-dev] speex on a DSP chip?

Matthias Granberry matthias at utdallas.edu
Wed Mar 31 14:02:40 PST 2004

The vendor toolchain is excellent for some very specific tasks.
Unfortunately, most codecs designed for PCs fall pretty far from this.
GCC has its problems when you get away from its target architectures,
too.  I wonder if there's been any work done on statically-scheduled
VLIW architectures.  A GCC target isn't necessarily very big.  It
looks like the real task is in the C libraries.

Ralph Giles <giles at xiph.org> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 10:51:20AM +0300, George Bratis wrote:
>
>> I think that if you want to use a low cost dsp you must rewrite ti in
>> assebmly.
>> In our tests you will need 4-5 times more MIPS just compiling C code.
>
> This was also our experience porting the Tremor vorbis decoder to a TI
> dsp. The vendor toolchain is useless; someone really needs to pay cygnus
> to port gcc.
>
>  -R

Matthias Granberry
matthias at utdallas.edu