[speex-dev] Decoding raw problem on OS X with 1.03

Mon Mar 29 15:05:13 PST 2004

> If I decode to .wav, it works fine.  However, if I decode to .raw, it
> does not work (the decoded file when viewed on GoldWave on Windows
> appears to be all noise.  I've tried 16-bit, signed, unsigned, big
> endian and little endian, mono and stereo PCM - none make a difference
> - the decoded file always appears to be noise).

Can you try manually swapping the bytes on the raw output and see if you
get something useful (I think by default wav is always little endian
while raw is native endian)?

> On 1.03, the second parameter to speex_encode is a float *.  But on
> 1.14, it's a short *.  Why the change?

One of the reasons is that with 1.1.x, I introduced a fixed-point
(integer) port and I wanted to have the same API for the float and the
fixed-point version. The other reason is that it makes it harder for
people to screw up the scaling.

Jean-Marc Valin
http://www.xiph.org/~jm/
LABORIUS