[vorbis virus spam] Any list ops ever thought... was re: [vorbis] Hey

C h a r l e s T. H o u g h t b y I V tom at rapidappraisal.com
Wed Apr 28 07:34:44 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 8:41 am, Nemo Cameron wrote:
->
->Encourage them to be stupid on a network where YOU ALONE have to suffer
->the subsequent abuse of network traffic, mail servers, and so forth. Do
->not advocate this policy on the internet where other (assumed to be
->innocent) users will suffer. Encouraging idiots to open attachments is
->like encouraging drunkards to drive.

(grumbling/smiling)  yeah i know... if only drunkards would find a tree
instead of a family on holiday : /... i wish there were a way they could
'darwin themselves right off the net' w/o affecting others... deep down i
agree with you tho..

->
->With regard to stripping attachments? I'd suggest one step further. Just
->reject all emails at the server end if they have an offending attachment.
->(this can be done as soon as the mime header can be identified, saving
->bandwith)

Oh yeah! that would be cool..

->
->I do this on my mailserver (running postfix 2) with the following:
->
->                 [see original message for config...]
->
->Note that I run this both personally and professionally (small ISP). In
->several years, we've recieved one complaint (more like grudging
->acceptance) and many compliments. ie, I consider it a good (read:
->excellent) system.
->
->That config does allows .zip through, and a seperate (ie, real) virus
->scanner would be needed to inspect those. As a blunt tool however, this
->method is effective and simple, and imho, greatly preferably to stripping
->the attachments but allowing the mail... It's also not list specific,
->but with some extra effort, that shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.

Could it be made to 552 on zip/rar/tar/bz2 files as well, unless the Subject:
line had a special list-assigned string that would signify an actual human
being sending this attachment rather than a 'drunkard' or a virus? or perhaps
the name of the zip was [list-assigned string][users-zip-name].zip? the
list-assigned string could be changed and sent to the list every month so it
forced people to really think before sending attachments to the list.

->
->Finally, note that a 552 error is not a bounce, and so will not
->nescessarily generate return traffic to bother the net up further. 5xx
->errors are (from memory) to be handled by the sending server by any
->means they wish.

Agreed. I hope the list admins go with that!

->*clink* *clink*

--
Yours,
Charles T. Houghtby IV

---
        During a grouse hunt in North Carolina two intrepid sportsmen
were blasting away at a clump of trees near a stone wall.  Suddenly a
red-faced country squire popped his head over the wall and shouted,
"Hey, you almost hit my wife."
"Did I?"  cried the hunter, aghast.  "Terribly sorry.  Have a
shot at mine, over there."
-
"Oh" my new operator calls as I leave, "I can't remember what your backup
tape looked like. Is this it here on the Bulk Eraser?"
        --The Last BOFH