[vorbis] resampling to 48 kHz

noprivacy at earthlink.net noprivacy at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 2 09:19:13 PST 2004

>> There are some soundcards that can only work at 48 kHz (Creative
>> SoundBlaster Live! for example)

>What is the source of the information? Can you give the URL please?

It's part of the Microsoft PC specification, actually.  Very poorly
conceived specification.  There is nothing in the specs that requires an
audio system to work only with 48k, but 48k is required and 44.1k isn't.

That ends up meaning that nearly all audio systems (on-board or pci card)
resample.  And some do it very poorly, such as the SoundBlaster Live! 5.1
cards.  (I bought one of those to replace the onboard audio of a used
Pentium-3 pc I got.  The SB was so bad that I actually returned the card and
stayed with the low quality onboard VIA audio chip.)

And for those cards (or on-board audio) that can't resample, Windows itself
will do the resampling for you.

(Unfortunately I can't find the URL for Microsoft's PC hardware
specification page, where they specify all the basic requirements for a
standard PC.  Check Google or any other search engine.)