[vorbis] resampling to 48 kHz

David Bachner rudapper at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 06:09:25 PST 2004

--- Maik Merten <maikmerten at gmx.net> wrote:

> The soundcard _may_ be the source of your problems.
> I recommend:
>
> - do a 44.1 kHz encoding
> - decode it (make a Wav file)
> - burn it on Audio CD
> - check this CD on a standalone CD player.
>
> It the sound is not distorted when playing from CD
> something is wrong
> with your computer.
>
> When playing the original file (the source you make
> your Ogg files from)
> on your computer: Are there any distortions? Is your
> sorce already
> compressed lossy (MP3, WMA, AAC etc)?

The distortions I speak of (perhaps distortion isn't
the right word) is that hollow, almost ringing sort of
sound that is common with heavily compressed audio. I
hear it only on high frequencies (like cymbals, "sss"
sounds, etc. And I hear it no matter which computer or
player I play it with. But when I resample the 44.1
kHz source wav (ripped from audio CD) to 48 kHz, and
encode at q1 or higher, and the lossy distortions go
away.

db