[vorbis] FLAC, ogg and iRiver

t.a.page at durham.ac.uk t.a.page at durham.ac.uk
Thu Apr 15 06:41:20 PDT 2004

I've seen in this discussion:

http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis/200304/0000.html

that not only is it possible for the iRiver iMP-350 to play Ogg, it can also
play FLAC - I didn't know this, and two question arrise:

* It is possible to get the iRiver H120/140 to play FLAC (I know the Rio Karma can)

* People sometimes say things like "Ogg is not tuned well for high bit rates"
and so on - what does this mean - FLAC looks quite cool, but if I can just use a
high bit rate ogg then it seems unnecessary on a portable device

Thanks, Tom