[vorbis] Bit Rate Peeling Quality

Brandon High armitage at freaks.com
Mon Jun 23 11:47:08 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 09:26:48PM +1200, J C Fitzgerald wrote:
> I know, but I haven't been able to glean a good definition of 'codec'
> yet (and my specific request for a definition went unanswered).

COder/DECoder.

The codec could change, so long as the data format remains the same. For
instance, there are several codecs for MP3, but they all do more or less
the same things. Some just do it better than others.

It would be possible to have a newer Vorbis 1.0 codec that provides new
features, such as the better peeling capability and fixes to the high
frequency gain at low bitrates. Files encoded with it would still play
on the 1.0 release tools, but would sound better due to changes in the
encoding process.

-B

Brandon High                                     armitage at freaks.com
'98 Kawi ZX-7R "Wasabi", '98 Kawi EX500 "Harlot", '02 BMW R1150RS "Troll"
Vital papers will demonstrate their vitality by moving from where you left
them to where you can't find them.