[vorbis] Compression Artifacts at -q 5. Help!

Daniel Schregenberger npfdd at gmx.net
Wed Jun 11 07:10:55 PDT 2003

Michael Smith wrote:

> > On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 02:12, Giuliano Pochini wrote:
[...]
> > > Four years old gcc 2.91.66 is known to create broken code for 386. You
> > > have to recompile libvorbis with a more recent release of gcc. Oh, and
> > > remember to reencode all your music :))
[...]
> work. That gcc version is too buggy to use for vorbis, no matter what. I

Hearing about old buggy compilers making all your vorbis files "bad" scares me.
Is this the only version known to be that bad or do you recommend to use a very
recent GCC version?
I do use a fairly old computer/linux/gcc too: P-200MMX/Kernel 2.2.25/GCC 2.95.2

-- Daniel

which is the exact opposite."
                -- Bertrand Russell, "Skeptical_Essays", 1928