[vorbis] Compression Artifacts at -q 5. Help!

Beni Cherniavsky cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Wed Jun 11 04:34:18 PDT 2003

Daniel Schregenberger wrote on 2003-06-11:

> Michael Smith wrote:
>
> > > On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 02:12, Giuliano Pochini wrote:
> [...]
> [...]
> > work. That gcc version is too buggy to use for vorbis, no matter what. I
>
> Hearing about old buggy compilers making all your vorbis files "bad" scares me.

Could some kind of self-check be put into oggenc?  Flac has
``--verify`` which works by decoding and comparing.  Of course this
won't work for Vorbis, because it's lossy.  Perhaps each Vorbis
release should come with a reference wave file and the result of
encoding and decoding it with this release.  It could then be compared
with a small tolerance to the result of encoding and decoding it on
the target machine.  Makes any sense?

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at users.sf.net>

Premature classification is the superclass of all evil.