[vorbis] Quality & Tags

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu Jan 31 10:29:21 PST 2002

Glenn Maynard wrote:
> > D'oh, I thought we were through with XML in Vorbis tags. Leave that to
> > the metadata stream.
>
> (but .. but .. er, we've been here.)
>
> "How the data was encoded" doesn't belong in the tags by their current
> definition at all; they're yet another piece of information to "wait for
> metadata".  (It's no exception, either ... there's lots of equally useful
> information that's waiting for metadata.)

Hmyes, you're right - this new tag could be seen as metadata. On the
other hand, I could even think of scribbling that thing on a CD cover if
it made sense there. This tag would make life easier to distinguish
between encoded files for archiving and streaming. I do that through the
filename right now, adding a -q<n> at the end of it, e.g.
plaid_-_little_people-q1.ogg. In case I'd lose the filename for some
reason (or forget to name it that way in the first place), I have a hard
time finding it. I don't think this tag would be more meta than the
replaygain values, plus it makes a lot of sense.

Well, I guess I'd use something like that even if it wasn't standard. IF
this becomes a standard, it'd be nice to know, though. I don't feel like
tagging stuff with a tag that has the wrong name ... ;P