[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Nemo - earth native nemo at cheeky.house.cx
Thu Jan 3 21:16:43 PST 2002

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 05:48:31PM -0800, Jonathan Walther did utter:

> >>4) Identify the track for location in the external database that
> >>  contains ALL POSSIBLE information about the track.
> >
> >That seems reasonable, once such a database exists and can be guaranteed
> >to remain free (or at least licensed in such a way that it can be forked
> >if necessary).
>
> Maybe you and I will just have to get it started ourselves and see what
> happens.  I've been mulling over something like this for a while.
> freedb seems too MP3 centric.  At this point, its still not that big a
> deal to start over.  People that want detailed information would be
> entering it themselves anyway; when we network it everyone will benefit.
> I've also made some tagging and file-naming scripts that comply with the
> standard which I will post here later.

Of course you know that freeDB is a fork from CDDB - predating the whole
thing to well before mp3 was anything other than 3 random characters.
(as opposed to a big legal tangle ;)

I'm tentatively planning my personal database to be a superset of the
freeDB database - including my own discID which will also be a
backwards compatible superset of the poorly designed cddb discID.
(but maintaining some of the cddb discID's pro's - such as the ability
to do a first-round search for "near matches" based on the discID alone)

When I get something more than a few scratches on paper, I'll be sure to
let the list know. :)

.../nemo