[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

David K. Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Sat Jan 5 01:43:18 PST 2002

On 4 Jan 2002 at 0:03, Jonathan Walther wrote:

> Conductors are performers too.  Yet noone seems to object (strongly) to
> having a separate CONDUCTOR tag.

I agree to a CONDUCTOR tag because a person may be both an instrumentalist and a
conductor.  (see my earlier post)  What would be a relevant example for soloist v. ensemble?

>  If you want to tell winamp "display the
> ensemble, but not performers", without an ENSEMBLE tag, you can't do that.
>
> It may be self evident to a human that the LSO is an ensemble, but making
> the player software do special parsing on a PERFORMER tag to determine "oh
> yeah, there is an ensemble in here, I should display it" is out. That
> means an extra tag.

The *overriding goal* is to make the data human-readable.  If the conductor were lumped into the
PERFORMER tag, without intimate knowledge of the recording or person in question, I'd have a
hard time extracting that person's role.  Determining whether a performer is sigular or plural is
much more intuitive.

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- XNS  : =David K Gasaway