[vorbis] RC3 Tagging/Encoding and Winamp answer

Wilson defiler at null.net
Wed Jan 2 11:22:28 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Blue Jay" <tribe0125 at hotmail.com>
To: "XIPH Vorbis" <vorbis at xiph.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 1:45 PM
Subject: [vorbis] RC3 Tagging/Encoding and Winamp answer

> Since I just joined the mailing list, I figured I would answer the Winamp
> question.  Winamp has different EQ algorithms - they have a "fast layer
2/3
> EQ" option for mp3s, and they have a PCM EQ for all other formats (wma,
ogg,
> etc.). While the mp3 EQ sounds ok, the PCM EQ (which gets applied to ogg
> files) is absolutely horrible.  I have requested that Winamp fix this for
> Winamp3 in their forums.... I recommend using Media Jukebox - its EQ
sounds
> really good.  Sonique is ok too.
>
> Here's the main reason for my post:  I have figured out how to use
> Audiograbber and oggenc RC3 to get fully tagged ogg files.  However, the
> normalizing options are not advanced enough for me - I use sound forge to
> normalize to an RMS value.  This is fine, but adding that extra process in
> the loop means that I can't tag the ogg files automatically from the sound
> forge output wav files.  Of course I could do this by hand, but
considering
> I'm doing 2000+ songs, this simply isn't an option.  I was wondering if
> there was a way for me to use oggenc to read the filename of the input wav
> file and tag the outputted ogg file automatically.
>
> For example, my filename would be something like
> "Artist_Album_TrackNumber_Title.wav" and I would like to be able to use a
> frontend (such as Audiograbber) to do the commandline instructions for me
so
> I can do a whole bunch in a batch at a single time.  I tried the "-n"
option
> but perhaps that is not its purpose - I don't know.
>
> Does anyone know how I can do this?  TIA!

There are no tools for doing this yet. I'm working on a little Python script
that will solve this problem.
I rip whole CDs to single WAV files in bulk with EAC.
I use SoundForge to normalize the entire CD, and then use Wave Repair to
split it into individual tracks.
\Artist - Album\Tracknumber - Artist - Title.wav
After the fact, I encode to Ogg FLAC and tag the files. Unfortunately,
there's no equivalent to the nigh-magical "Tag & Rename" in the world of
Ogg:
http://www.softpointer.com/images/TRFull.gif
http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm