[vorbis] Quality & Tags

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Thu Jan 31 22:35:49 PST 2002

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 09:36:56PM -0800, David K. Gasaway wrote:
>I'm not trying to pedantic.  I was making a distinction between information that applies to the
>source material, versus information that applies to the encoding.  I was using "metadata" to refer
>to the latter.

Perhaps.  Maybe I didn't clarify the meaning of the goals of the
standard well enough.  "Knowing what you are listening to" doesn't just
mean the name of the song or the artist.  (necessarily).  There can be
50 different rips of a given track out there.  Knowing the quality
settings can help you distinguish them.

>Hey, cool by me.  But I agree with Mr. Morton - this type of data fits better in the informal class of
>metadata / information / whatever-you-want-to-call-it.

Theres information about the "track", and theres information about the
piece of music itself.  I don't see either one as being particularly
suitable for metadata, or suitable for tags.  It's not an important
distinction to me.

Theres been no flame war so far.  Quit worrying out loud that there will
be one, or you'll be to blame when it does happen.

Jonathan