[vorbis] Quality & Tags

David K. Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Thu Jan 31 23:11:35 PST 2002

On 31 Jan 2002 at 22:35, Jonathan Walther wrote:

> Perhaps.  Maybe I didn't clarify the meaning of the goals of the
> standard well enough.  "Knowing what you are listening to" doesn't just
> mean the name of the song or the artist.  (necessarily).  There can be
> 50 different rips of a given track out there.  Knowing the quality
> settings can help you distinguish them.

I had a different interpretation of the words in the proposal.  Miscommunication.  No sweat.

> Theres information about the "track", and theres information about the
> piece of music itself.  I don't see either one as being particularly
> suitable for metadata, or suitable for tags.  It's not an important
> distinction to me.

Alright, then.  I still take the opposing view.

> Theres been no flame war so far.  Quit worrying out loud that there will
> be one, or you'll be to blame when it does happen.

Heh heh.  Well, here it is: you suggested that I might be pedantic.  In some geeky circles, that's
an insult.  I think my smiley let you know how I took it.  :)

Besides, doesn't a person have some sort of allowance for anti-flame remarks?  That's only one
by me, by my count.  Was that too many?  How many strikes do I have left?

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- XNS  : =David K Gasaway
-:-:- Email: dave at gasaway.org