[vorbis] Streaming content from BBC just stops

Karl O . Pinc kop at meme.com
Wed Jan 30 12:51:01 PST 2002

Hi,

I've been trying to listen to the BBC's ogg broadcasts over
a 56Kbps modem and
have had problems.  I can listen to the archived shows, but
I get occasonal pauses.  I assume this can be fixed by pre-loading
a large enough buffer.  But when I try listening to the
Radio-4 stream, the buffer fills, then I get sound and for maybe 5
more seconds I continue to get modem traffic.  Then the modem
traffic stops and after about another 10 seconds the sound
stops and then nothing.  The 15 seconds or so of sound I do
get has no pauses.

Xmms reports about a 40Kbps data rate.

Am I out of luck because I don't have a high enough data rate,
or what?

Here's whats on my system (RedHat 7.1).  I compiled from source.

Linux mofo.meme.com 2.4.17 #1 SMP Thu Jan 17 23:51:22 CST 2002 i686 unknown
devfs file system turned on and permissions set to allow world
read/write on the sound card (dsp, dsp1, and mixer, but not midi)

xmms run as a regular user

gcc-2.96-85
xmms-gnome-1.2.6-1
xmms-1.2.6-1