[vorbis] RC3: I'm impressed

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Mon Jan 14 15:42:08 PST 2002

> > Another nice thing to do would be the riddance of the FPU need.
>
> Is there a requirement for a hardware FPU? I would guess that an emulator
> provided by the compiler would do, or one provided by an external library
> that traps the required CPU exceptions.

The floating point emulator on, for example, ARM is not fast enough to
decode Vorbis in real-time.

I care about ARM because that's what my iPaq uses. Other people care because
that's what their Rio Volt uses.

iRiver has stated that the SlimX (and therefore probably the Rio Volt) will
support Vorbis as soon as there is a decoder that is fast enough. In this
case, 'fast enough' will most likely require an integer/fixed-point
implementation.

Peter Harris