[vorbis] RC3: I'm impressed

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Mon Jan 14 15:51:36 PST 2002

> The floating point emulator on, for example, ARM is not fast enough to
> decode Vorbis in real-time.

The kernel emulators are never fast enough, as segher has said many
times.  Realtime playback is probably possible with a emulator lib not
attached to kernel traps.  A few people have confirmed this does the
trick for them.

> I care about ARM because that's what my iPaq uses. Other people care because
> that's what their Rio Volt uses.
>
> iRiver has stated that the SlimX (and therefore probably the Rio Volt) will
> support Vorbis as soon as there is a decoder that is fast enough. In this
> case, 'fast enough' will most likely require an integer/fixed-point
> implementation.

iRiver told me today they're working on it as I posted.

The decoder 'being fast enough' is nonsense.  There are ports of vorbis
to the arm that are both integer based and realtime.  I'll be happy to
hook any vendors up with someone who can sell them the code if they are
not willing to do this work themselves.

Everyone should stop talking as if integerized Vorbis didn't exist or
wasn't possible.  It's been done (almost twice at this point).  And i'm
sure others are working on it too.

Sure there's no BSD licensed version, but I imagine it won't be too much
longer before someone does to the work and releases the code under a
free license.

We all want Vorbis on everything immediately.  I'm sure we'll get a long
way towards that goal this year.  MP3 and WMA didn't make it into
hardware for years.  We actually got into hardware much faster than
Microsoft did, even if it was only beta firmware.