[vorbis] RC3: I'm impressed

Craig Dickson crdic at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 15:33:39 PST 2002

Joel wrote:

> What about translating some critical functions to hand optimized
> assembly.

Goodbye, portability. Hello, 5% speed increase. Probably not a good idea.

If there were an identifiable function (or small group of functions)
that are critical to performance _and_ compile into very inefficient
code, then this rewrite might get you something. Of course, what
compiles poorly under one compiler may do better under another. It also
might be possible to modify the C code to get better output, though
again that would tend to be compiler-sensitive.

> Another nice thing to do would be the riddance of the FPU need.

Is there a requirement for a hardware FPU? I would guess that an emulator
provided by the compiler would do, or one provided by an external library
that traps the required CPU exceptions. Or are you suggesting modifying
Vorbis to use integer or fixed-point?

Craig