[vorbis] Win32 All-UTF8 oggenc.exe

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Mon Jan 14 15:17:31 PST 2002

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 01:06:16PM -0500, Peter Harris wrote:
> > > GetCommandLineW is OK.  CommandLineToArgvW is not; it's NT-only.
> >
> > That is the bug in my modified oggenc. It looks like I'll have to do
> > CommandLineToArgvW by hand.
>
> Be careful, you need to handle double quotes in Windows, but *not* single
> quotes.  I don't know if it does any kind of escaping, either.

Yeah, you can escape double quotes. Consecutive '\' before a " are
considered escaped, but consecutive '\' without a trailing " are not. Looks
like a real pain to deal with, which is why I'm not super-likely to have a
working version any time this week. (simply because the fun-factor of
dealing with this is a lot lower than the previous parts of the patch.)

Feel free to jump in and write it for me. :-)

> > > So, we don't care about the OEM codepage.  The user wants to be able
> > > see (at least) what his system codepage is set to, not line-drawing
> > > characters.  Try this:
> >
> > Ooo. Good idea. *trying*.
> >
> > Ouch. Ick. Eww. umlaut-u becomes superscript-2. Again. How useless.
> >
> > In all the other code pages on my system, most accented characters just
lose
> > their accents (a few become garbage due to the incomplete tables MS
uses).
> > After SetConsoleOutputCP(GetACP()), all accented characters become
garbage.

> > And it was such a good idea, too. Shot down by a lacking MS
implementation
> > (it looks like cp1252 is just an unmapped code page. Which doesn't work
with
> > the Console character set).
>
> ü? (Er, Unicode calls that a diaeresis.  I'm not up on my accents-other-
> languages-use terminology.)

Yup, that's the character I've been talking about. I've probably been
calling it by the wrong name the entire time.

> What font is your console in?

The font calls itself 'Raster Fonts'. I've been using 8x12 (I don't know if
that matters). I don't like the look of lucida console.

>  ü works fine for me in lucida console (a
> Unicode font.)

Testing... Yup, it works fine if your font is 'Lucida Console' Strange.

Of all the things I might have suspected, the font was the last thing.

As a further annoyance, 'chcp 1252' is the only code page that causes my ü
key to emit a superscript-n when using 'Raster Fonts'; it's fine when using
Lucida Console.

Peter Harris