[vorbis] Win32 All-UTF8 oggenc.exe

Glenn Maynard g_ogg at zewt.org
Mon Jan 14 19:15:30 PST 2002

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 06:17:31PM -0500, Peter Harris wrote:
> Testing... Yup, it works fine if your font is 'Lucida Console' Strange.
>
> Of all the things I might have suspected, the font was the last thing.

Alright, I see what's happening.

For Unicode fonts (ie. lucida console), the codepage is used (as long as
the font has a mapping for that codepage).  You output 0xFC in CP1252,
it finds it in the font index and displays the right unicode character
(which happens to also be U+00FC.)

Raster fonts don't have these indexes, so it just outputs whatever
happens to be at that number.

So, raster fonts need to match the codepage; TTF fonts do not.  (I did
try this in CP1252 with a character that is different in CP1252 and
Unicode: 0x95/U+2022 Bullet, for example.)

Terminal appears to be CP437; fixedsys appears to be CP1252.  For some
reason, you can't select raster fonts individually ("raster font" is not
a font).

Off-topic:

If anyone knows a way to edit, merge, etc. existing {bitmap,raster,TTF,TTC,
etc} fonts into a single font, step forward.  I'd like to make a font with
fixedsys for what it has, MS Mincho for Japanese, etc; I don't know anything
that can do this, however (it involves pulling data out of TTC--truetype
collections--for MS Mincho, conversion of a raster font for fixedsys, etc.)

> As a further annoyance, 'chcp 1252' is the only code page that causes my ü
> key to emit a superscript-n when using 'Raster Fonts'; it's fine when using
> Lucida Console.

"chcp 1252" probably makes it remap the key to CP1252's codepoint for ü.
However, the font doesn't do the mappings.  That is, I believe it's all
an output problem; it's inputting correctly.

--
Glenn Maynard