[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Mon Jan 14 05:07:06 PST 2002

Beni Cherniavksy wrote:

> On 2002-01-13, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
>
> > >  - order among tags of different names isn't considered meaningful.
> >
> > Erm, why not, exactly?
> >
> > Segher
> >

> Because one of the developers said so (see below).  I just accept it.

Well, I'd rather have it *completely* ordered or *completely* unordered.
It is just a flat list, after all.

> Also I see reasons: editors will tend to have dialogs that have title,
> performer, date, etc., at specific places.  They should allow every field

Editors that assume they know better than the user are not something that
I care about helping out, personally.  The comment header is supposed to
be human-oriented, not application-oriented.  If some tag editor messes up
my carefully hand-crafted tag ordering i'll be quite upset.  I don't care
at all if a certain application will display the tags *it* cares about in
a sane ordering again.

> to contain many entries, of course, but we can't expect them to reorder
> the fields.  It might be very convenient to always see the titles at the
> top, then the performers, and so on (or in any alternative order one
> likes).

If I put the ARTIST tag first, I want to see it first.  If I put it
second-but-last, I want to see it second-but-last.  All of this _per stream_.

> It's also intuitive: I can understand that if there are many performers,
> then the tags define a list of them, an people frequently care about order
> in a list of items.  On the other hand I don't readily see the meaning of
> "TITLE=Foo Bar, PERFORMER=Quux"  vs.  "PERFORMER=Quux, TITLE=Foo Bar".
> These are separate lists.

Well yes.  So no application should assume they are the same thing.