[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Mon Jan 14 05:21:38 PST 2002

On 2002-01-14, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> Beni Cherniavksy wrote:

> > > Erm, why not, exactly?
> > >

> > Because one of the developers said so (see below).  I just accept it.
>
> Well, I'd rather have it *completely* ordered or *completely* unordered.
> It is just a flat list, after all.
>
> > Also I see reasons: editors will tend to have dialogs that have title,
> > performer, date, etc., at specific places.  They should allow every field
>
> Editors that assume they know better than the user are not something that
> I care about helping out, personally.  The comment header is supposed to
> be human-oriented, not application-oriented.  If some tag editor messes up
> my carefully hand-crafted tag ordering i'll be quite upset.  I don't care
> at all if a certain application will display the tags *it* cares about in
> a sane ordering again.

You have a point.  If I "scratch notes on the bottom of a CD", I would get
a flat list too.

> > to contain many entries, of course, but we can't expect them to reorder
> > the fields.  It might be very convenient to always see the titles at the
> > top, then the performers, and so on (or in any alternative order one
> > likes).
>
> If I put the ARTIST tag first, I want to see it first.  If I put it
> second-but-last, I want to see it second-but-last.  All of this _per stream_.
>
> > It's also intuitive: I can understand that if there are many performers,
> > then the tags define a list of them, an people frequently care about order
> > in a list of items.  On the other hand I don't readily see the meaning of
> > "TITLE=Foo Bar, PERFORMER=Quux"  vs.  "PERFORMER=Quux, TITLE=Foo Bar".
> > These are separate lists.
>
> Well yes.  So no application should assume they are the same thing.

The question is whether this has a semantic meaning.  Currently, if I ask
"what are the titles of this stream?", "what are the performers" and so on
for all tag types present, I get the full information about it.  I can
reassemble it again and get a comment equivallent to the original.  With
your model you can't.  You lose the order.  I don't know what's better.

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)