[vorbis] Removing Vorbis tags

Ross Vandegrift ross at willow.seitz.com
Sun Jan 13 15:31:55 PST 2002

> What's wrong with using vorbiscomment and sed/bash/perl?

This:

ross at turalyon:~$ ls -R /opt/music/ | grep mp3 | wc -l
   1106
ross at turalyon:~$ find /opt/music -name '*.mp3' | xargs du -ch
1006M   total
ross at turalyon:~$ ls -R /opt/music/ | grep ogg | wc -l
    476
ross at turalyon:~$ find /opt/music -name '*.ogg' | xargs du -ch
867M    total
ross at turalyon:~$ time for i in `find /opt/music | grep mp3`; do \
        id3ed -r $i; done

real    0m39.164s
user    0m4.590s
sys     0m2.530s

ross at turalyon:~$ time for i in `find /opt/music | grep ogg`; do \
        vorbiscomment -w $i < /dev/null; done

real    20m58.437s
user    1m12.280s
sys     0m26.210s

manipulate vorbiscomments in a very basic (hopefully fast) way.  The issue is
that vcedit_write () works only like a pipe, so the input and output files
can't be the same ogg - so for every comment that vorbiscomment edits, a full
copy of the file is written to a temp file, updated with the vcedit functions,
and then written back to the original filename.

I'm looking for a way to edit the comment headers without having to
vcedit_write, but haven't read enough code yet.

Ross Vandegrift
ross at willow.seitz.com