[vorbis] Problems Building Ogg Vorbis RC3

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Sun Jan 13 10:02:14 PST 2002

Jeff Flowers (jsflowers at earthlink.net) wrote:

> > > modprobe emu10k1 && echo emu10k1 >> /etc/modules
>
> What version of Debian does that apply to?

All of them.  (Well, at least all of the *current* ones -- I don't know
about the ancient ones and /etc/modules.)

The important thing is that your kernel has to have been built with
the emu10k1 driver configured as a module.  And since emu10k1 was only
introduced in kernel 2.2.18 or so, that means you *might* have to upgrade
your kernel if you're using one of the original versions of potato.

(Or you could build the emu10k1 module separately, after acquiring the
source from <http://opensource.creative.com/>.)

I've heard that emu10k1 has had a history of breaking in 2.4.x kernels.
Then again, 2.4.x kernels are ALL broken right now, every last one of
them, with respect to the new binutils.  Not to mention the turkeys
(like 2.4.15, which corrupts your file systems on umount).  So much for
that "stable" label Linus slapped on 2.4.

So if you wondered why my headers say "Linux 2.2.20", that's why.

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |