[vorbis] Problems Building Ogg Vorbis RC3

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Sun Jan 13 16:24:11 PST 2002

On Monday 14 January 2002 07:02, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> > What version of Debian does that apply to?
>
> All of them.  (Well, at least all of the *current* ones -- I don't know
> about the ancient ones and /etc/modules.)
>
> The important thing is that your kernel has to have been built with
> the emu10k1 driver configured as a module.  And since emu10k1 was only
> introduced in kernel 2.2.18 or so, that means you *might* have to upgrade
> your kernel if you're using one of the original versions of potato.

Or install ALSA. I think you can do that with make-kpkg on a standard potato
install without too much trouble.

> I've heard that emu10k1 has had a history of breaking in 2.4.x kernels.

I'm using 2.4.16, the low latency patch and ALSA 0.9, and a collection
of back-packaged debs to make 2.4 work with potato. It all works fine
but I use my Sterolink as the primary soundcard these days.

> Then again, 2.4.x kernels are ALL broken right now, every last one of
> them, with respect to the new binutils.  Not to mention the turkeys
> (like 2.4.15, which corrupts your file systems on umount).  So much for
> that "stable" label Linus slapped on 2.4.

Hm. I _have_ been getting the occasional spontaneous reboot, but I've assumed
that was more likely to be hardware. What are the symptoms with respect to
binutils?

John