[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Sun Jan 13 02:02:27 PST 2002

On Sunday 13 January 2002 22:23, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 10:14:50PM +1300, John Morton wrote:
> >You could probably accomplish the same ends by agreeing on an informal
> >standard whereby PERFORMER fields have things like 'conductor', 'soloist'
> > and 'ensemble' appended in brackets where appropriate and write code to
> > parse that out.
>
> Except by Monty's rules the standard may not require parsing of any tag
> data to get information from it.

And by Monty's rules, the comment isn't suppose to turn into a collection of
fields used for complex sorting and searching. It seems to me that your
about-to-be-given-the-stamp-of-officialdom standard is doomed from the start.

>  You will notice I already use the
> bracket convention myself distinguish whether the performer is a violinist,
> pianist, soprano, or other.

That's great. So there's a way to do it that doesn't involve new fields. So
the official standard doesn't actually need more fields, or at least not
ENSEMBLE or CONDUCTOR.

> If what you want is an 'informal' standard, or something thats not
> 'official', I've already stated you can use PERFORMER in lieu of
> ENSEMBLE.  Go wild and use PERFORMER instead of CONDUCTOR too.  I don't
> mind.  In the freedb equivalent that springs up to hold the standard Ogg
> taggings of various tracks, the will of the people will be known; if
> more people use CONDUCTOR instead of PERFORMER, it will show up in the
> database records.

An informal standard seems like the way to go for this stuff.

John