[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Sun Jan 13 02:13:30 PST 2002

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 11:02:27PM +1300, John Morton wrote:
>> Except by Monty's rules the standard may not require parsing of any tag
>> data to get information from it.
>
>And by Monty's rules, the comment isn't suppose to turn into a collection of
>fields used for complex sorting and searching. It seems to me that your
>about-to-be-given-the-stamp-of-officialdom standard is doomed from the start.

ENSEMBLE and CONDUCTOR aren't in there for sorting; and searching is a
useful function of tags, but also not their raison d'etre.  They are
there to fulfill the first goal of the standard: to let the listener
know what he is listening to.  As a classical music listener I want to
know what is the ensemble, who is the conductor, and what performers
have joined them.  Jumbling these different actors in the musical milieu
into the same tag makes it harder for my weary eyes to tell at a glance
what I am listening to.

>> If what you want is an 'informal' standard, or something thats not
>> 'official', I've already stated you can use PERFORMER in lieu of
>> ENSEMBLE.  Go wild and use PERFORMER instead of CONDUCTOR too.  I don't
>> mind.  In the freedb equivalent that springs up to hold the standard Ogg
>> taggings of various tracks, the will of the people will be known; if
>> more people use CONDUCTOR instead of PERFORMER, it will show up in the
>> database records.
>
>An informal standard seems like the way to go for this stuff.

Yes.  When I have time I will be working on a freedb replacement.  For
instance, freedb does not allow UTF-8 encoded strings...  Initially when
people get tag info from ogg-db, it will be taken from freedb, but with
some mild conversion done.  As users sniff in disgust and redo the tags
and upload them (which software should make easy) the quality of the
database will improve.

Jonathan