[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Craig Dickson crdic at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 12 10:48:51 PST 2002

Jonathan Walther wrote:

> I've set up my ogg software so that if an ENSEMBLE tag exists, the
> PERFORMER tags get ignored.  In the display area, the ENSEMBLE gets
> higher priority; and my script which automatically renames an Ogg
> filename based on its internal tags ignores PERFORMERs if ENSEMBLE is
> set.

So if PERFORMER="Yo Yo Ma" and ENSEMBLE="Nobody Cares Philharmonic", and
the piece is a cello concerto, you want to see "Nobody Cares
Philharmonic" in the display, but not "Yo Yo Ma"?

I suppose you could simply leave out the ENSEMBLE to get your display to
behave sensibly, but then you've left important information out of the
file.

You can't get reasonable default behavior in all cases if you actually
fill out all the information, because sometimes the ensemble is primary
and sometimes it isn't. For that matter, the desired behavior for any
given file may vary from user to user; if I were, say, an obsessive
Seiji Ozawa fan, I might want everything he conducts to show the CONDUCTOR
field for "artist" rather than the ensemble or soloists.

It almost seems as if what is really needed is a DISPLAYNAME tag, which
would be set to either "PERFORMER" or "ENSEMBLE" (or simply repeat the
text from either), for the purpose of telling players with limited
display space what name to show for the "artist".

Craig