[vorbis] never encodes same twice?

Karol Pietrzak noodlez84 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 7 11:57:17 PST 2002

Hello.
As the subject of my email states, I've noticed that oggenc
never encodes the same twice.  i.e., encoding the same file
twice, using the same settings and same OS, never results in
identical files (checked using 'diff').  I know that a randomly
generated serial number is put it, but it gets better: a diff (-
a -u0)  between these two encodings is ~120KiB.  Umm... why?
Should the diff be around 1KiB, at the most?

Also, I've compiled by own libao, libogg, etc. (in Linux 2.4.17)
and one of the files I've encoded using these utils has a
bitrate 2 bits lower than the same track encoded in Windows 95.
Why is this?  Is there some way to find out whether my compiler
(gcc 2.95.3) is creating degenerate ogg files, reminiscent of
the recent RedHat compiler bug posted on vorbis.com?

--
Karol Pietrzak
PGP KeyID: 3A1446A0