[vorbis] RC3 Tagging/Encoding and Winamp answer

Blue Jay tribe0125 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 2 10:45:56 PST 2002

First of all, I'm using WinXP and love vorbis!  :-)

Since I just joined the mailing list, I figured I would answer the Winamp
question.  Winamp has different EQ algorithms - they have a "fast layer 2/3
EQ" option for mp3s, and they have a PCM EQ for all other formats (wma, ogg,
etc.). While the mp3 EQ sounds ok, the PCM EQ (which gets applied to ogg
files) is absolutely horrible.  I have requested that Winamp fix this for
Winamp3 in their forums.... I recommend using Media Jukebox - its EQ sounds
really good.  Sonique is ok too.

Here's the main reason for my post:  I have figured out how to use
Audiograbber and oggenc RC3 to get fully tagged ogg files.  However, the
normalizing options are not advanced enough for me - I use sound forge to
normalize to an RMS value.  This is fine, but adding that extra process in
the loop means that I can't tag the ogg files automatically from the sound
forge output wav files.  Of course I could do this by hand, but considering
I'm doing 2000+ songs, this simply isn't an option.  I was wondering if
there was a way for me to use oggenc to read the filename of the input wav
file and tag the outputted ogg file automatically.

For example, my filename would be something like
"Artist_Album_TrackNumber_Title.wav" and I would like to be able to use a
frontend (such as Audiograbber) to do the commandline instructions for me so
I can do a whole bunch in a batch at a single time.  I tried the "-n" option
but perhaps that is not its purpose - I don't know.

Does anyone know how I can do this?  TIA!