[vorbis] Winamp equalizer problems

Gian-Carlo Pascutto gcp at sjeng.org
Wed Jan 2 10:09:54 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Fuller" <Phaedras at gmx.net>
To: <vorbis at xiph.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 6:53 PM
Subject: [vorbis] Winamp equalizer problems

OGG
> encoded files when having the Winamp equalizer switched on? I seem to be
> missing bass and the sound doesn't fill the room as much with OGG. With
the EQ
> turned off there is no discernable difference between both LAME and Vorbis
> encoded files (both at an average of 192 kbps). Is this an error with the
OGG
> Winamp plugin?

The WinAmp equalizer cuts off all frequencies above 16kHz.

Don't use it, not with Ogg, not with MP3. Simple as that.

Additionally, using an equalizer on the output of a perceptual
codec is always bound to give unexpected results since you
are violating the basic assumptions it works from.

Thirdly, the Ogg will have a much better HF reproduction. You
might mistakenly perceive this as a reduction of the bass end.
(I have seen other people who made the same error)

--
GCP