[vorbis] RC3?

fungus meditvr at teleline.es
Wed Jan 2 06:07:47 PST 2002

Monty wrote:

> Well, we need to find some subtle way to dicourage people from using
> ABR.  The masses will immediately latch onto 'bitrate' settings
> because that's what they're used to in mp3, completely ignoring the
> fact that quality settings will *always* produce a higher quality file
> for the same given size.  Just putting it in the manual isn't enough,
> most folks couldn't care less about documentation....

Make the bitrate selection menu look like this:

"Quality 1  (equivalent quality to to 128kbs mp3)"
"Quality 2  (equivalent quality to to 160kbs mp3)"
"Quality 3  (equivalent quality to to 192kbs mp3)"
(or whatever).
Sure, they'll complain when it doesn't say "128" in
winamp, but the alternative is worse. Choose the lesser
of two evils, ie. go for quality, not quantity.

--
<\___/>
/ O O \