[vorbis] Vorbis Comment Editor v0.1.0

Beni Cherniavsky scben at techst02.technion.ac.il
Wed Jan 31 06:18:40 PST 2001

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Warren Spits wrote:

> These are just my ideas. I invite all users to submit their ideas either to
> me or to this mailing list.

I was looking for a strategy for a simple addition of Vorbis comments to
all those ID3-aware MP3 organizers.  What I found was that the ID3v2
library is very ID3-specific, so writing a Vorbis comments support into it
is hard, and would not make these apps support generic Vorbis comments.

I'm not going to get rid of my MP3's completely for a long time but all my
new encodings are of course Vorbis.  This means I have a mixed collection
with mixed playlists.  Why shoold I have to run different tools for two
performances of the same song encoded one with Vorbis and the older with
MP3?  Removing this unconvenience would remove yet one obstacle to
seemless MP3->Vorbis transition of the masses.

I think it's time to create (and I'm about to do so) a generic extensible
library for metadata retrieval/storage that can serve applications like
music collection managers.  It should map different metadata formats in a
configurable way (config files?) into a single non-limited scheme.  Thus
one will be able to transparently (as much as possible) edit and see the
corresponding fields of various metadata schemes, whether they are Vorbis
TITLE comments, ID3 TIT2 frames, or whatever.

I won't jump into coding right now at least because I'm a bit busy with my
exam session that starts soon but I want to have a good design by its end.
Therefore I request everybody's opinions and suggestions about this idea.

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at crosswinds.net>
                 (also scben at t2,cben at tx in Technion)

  No, No! You're not thinking; you're just being logical.
                                             - Niels Bohr