[vorbis] New MP3 codec from FhG/Thomson

Marshall Eubanks tme at 21rst-century.com
Fri Jan 12 03:36:12 PST 2001

Kristoff Bonne wrote:

> Greetings,

> > > I don't really know if this is a simular technique, but -on the website
> > > of DRM ('Digital Radio Mondial', a new system for digital radio
> > > broadcasting on frequencies below 30 Mhz), I found something called
> > > 'SBR': Spectal Band Replication.
> > > Apperently, DRM uses AAC -Advanced Audio Coding- (which is simular to
> > > MPEG, if I understand correctly) to encode the frequencies up-to 6
> > > Khz. SBR is used for the frequencies between 6.0 khz and 15.2 Khz.
>
> > AAC is the Dolby derived (& patented) audio standard for MPEG-4. I
> > really suspect that
> > the Fruanhofer institute will stay away from anything AAC related.
>
> Thanks.
> Well, it's a bit sad to see that they will actually use a patented audio
> codec for digital short, medium and long-wave radio.
> Considering the fact that these bands are used quite a lot in the
> 'countries on the road to developement' (as it is said in french), a
> patent-less audio codec could save some dollars on each radio.
>
> Perhaps, an additional reason for vorbis to get a good-quality
> low-bitstream codec.
> And a good reason to start pushing some strings at the EBU or the ITU, to
> -as least- allow other codecs be used on DRM.
> Does anybody have some contacts at any of these organisations?
>
> Anycase, my mail actually intended to point out that DRM actually uses two
> different audio-codecs: AAC for frequencies up-to 6 Khz and SBR for the
> frequencies above that range.
>
> Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.
> --

You might be interested in

http://verdi-rn.research.att.com/publications/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-mpeg2aac-01.txt

which is a draft RTP payload format for AAC.

--

                                   Regards
                                   Marshall Eubanks

   Multicast Technologies, Inc.
   10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 201
   Fairfax, Virginia 22030
   Phone : 703-293-9624          Fax     : 703-293-9609
   e-mail : tme at on-the-i.com     http://www.on-the-i.com