[vorbis] New MP3 codec from FhG/Thomson

Kristoff Bonne kristoff.bonne at skypro.be
Wed Jan 10 12:16:19 PST 2001

Greetings,

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> > > Any ideas as to how they can do that?  Maybe they encode half the frequency
> > > spectrum (0-8khz) in the standard MP3 way @64kb/s and the other half is
> > > stored somewhere else?
> > I don't really know if this is a simular technique, but -on the website
> > of DRM ('Digital Radio Mondial', a new system for digital radio
> > broadcasting on frequencies below 30 Mhz), I found something called
> > 'SBR': Spectal Band Replication.
> > Apperently, DRM uses AAC -Advanced Audio Coding- (which is simular to
> > MPEG, if I understand correctly) to encode the frequencies up-to 6
> > Khz. SBR is used for the frequencies between 6.0 khz and 15.2 Khz.

> AAC is the Dolby derived (& patented) audio standard for MPEG-4. I
> really suspect that
> the Fruanhofer institute will stay away from anything AAC related.

Thanks.
Well, it's a bit sad to see that they will actually use a patented audio
codec for digital short, medium and long-wave radio.
Considering the fact that these bands are used quite a lot in the
'countries on the road to developement' (as it is said in french), a
patent-less audio codec could save some dollars on each radio.

Perhaps, an additional reason for vorbis to get a good-quality
low-bitstream codec.
And a good reason to start pushing some strings at the EBU or the ITU, to
-as least- allow other codecs be used on DRM.
Does anybody have some contacts at any of these organisations?

Anycase, my mail actually intended to point out that DRM actually uses two
different audio-codecs: AAC for frequencies up-to 6 Khz and SBR for the
frequencies above that range.

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

--
KB905-RIPE                                       Belgacom  IP networking
(c=be,a=rtt,p=belgacomgroup,s=Bonne,g=Kristoff)  Internet, IP and IP/VPN