[vorbis] Memory Footprint issues

Ralph Giles giles at ashlu.bc.ca
Tue Jan 16 19:31:51 PST 2001

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Anthony Inzero wrote:

>    Vorbis seems so large and complex that I offen get intimidated, so I was
> wondering if anyone else would like to possible work with me on reducing the
> memory footprint down from 500K? From what its described, that seems to be
> fairly large. I have a copy of Visual Studio, so I'm all set with tools.
> However I'm a newbie when it comes to working on large-code, open source stuff
> like this. If your interested, please e-mail me privetly, or on AOL IM
> (cardboardbox00). I also have ICQ, I just have to re-install it again. I
> suppose one could go through it, checking through everything.

Note that many of the developers are on irc, in the #vorbis channel on
irc.openprojects.net. That's the best place to go if you're looking for
someone to talk you through something.

The code is intimidating, but it's not that huge. Read the libogg
docs, then start with the vorbis decoder source. Just read through it
until see how the data flows. Unfortunately there's not much high-level
documentation, so there's little else to guide you. Erik Kruus has some
stuff on the encoder at vorbis.on2.com that may also be helpful.

I'm not an expert, but would guess from Segher's last message that you can
easily decrease the footprint if you're willing to limit yourself to a
particular subset of codebooks (useful in games, for example, where you
control the input files). There is such a thing as space optimization,
just as with speed and complexity, but I've no idea how effective they'd
be in this particular case.

Hope that helps,
 -ralph