[vorbis] Memory Footprint issues

Segher Boessenkool segher at wanadoo.nl
Wed Jan 17 00:07:52 PST 2001

> I'm not an expert, but would guess from Segher's last message that you can
> easily decrease the footprint if you're willing to limit yourself to a
> particular subset of codebooks (useful in games, for example, where you
> control the input files). There is such a thing as space optimization,
> just as with speed and complexity, but I've no idea how effective they'd
> be in this particular case.

You won't have to limit yourself to this kind of codebooks; the idea is
to use less memory _if_ the codebooks are of special type. All current
codebooks are. Expect a patch for this later (maybe today). It will help
performance a bit, as well (less cache misses).

Second thing I said: if you control what streams your decoder plays (like
in the game example), you can remove all code that isn't used. This saves
code size (and some minor cpu cycles). If all your streams are stereo,
you can hardcode channels=2, if all your books are maptype1, you can remove
all the other-type unpacking stuff, etc.

Cheers,

Segher