[vorbis] oggenc (small files)

Moritz Grimm maxx at kolabore.de
Fri Jan 12 19:54:45 PST 2001

Eric Hill wrote:
> I've had this problem encoding oggs where the output file is small, like
> 24kbytes for a 4 minute song (tested at 128 and 160kbit). I'm running
> Windows 2000 and this has happened in oggenc, oggdrop, and CDEX, though I've
> also been able to get good encodings with each of these. I think the only
> clean encodings have been .wav's that I've made myself with SoundForge or
> CoolEdit, the bum ones have been tracks I've pulled off of CDs (with CDEX,
> EAC, and Windows native). Clues?

AFAIK there are quite a lot different WAV formats around. The PCM format
is what CoolPro/SF saves by default and what seems to work fine. It's
very possible that your rippers produce different WAV formats. It might
be interesting to check whether there is some option in the properties
of your rippers to select the .WAV subformat (try PCM).

Maybe one of the developers can tell which WAV formats are supported by
oggenc/oggdrop/... and which not?

Moritz